More and more people are discovering the benefits of probiotics. It’s fairly common knowledge that probiotics are the friendly bacteria that live in the digestive tract and help to digest food and absorb nutrients. Probiotics are vital for many more aspects of human health. We invite you to learn more about probiotics and the role they play in human health and wellness.
About our Awards
Click on a question below:
- Q. What are probiotics?
- A. Not all bacteria are bad for you. In fact, the human body needs many bacteria to stay healthy! Helpful bacteria are called probiotics. They live in the intestinal tract and other regions of the body, including on the surface of the skin. Probiotics are best known for their role in the gut, promoting a healthy digestive pH and supporting regularity.* Science is quickly discovering dozens of other benefits of a healthy probiotic population including:
- Supporting immune system response*
- Balancing hormones*
- Making some of our vitamins*
- Detoxifying the body*
- Helping your body digest and absorb nutrients from food and other supplements*
- Q. Why do we need probiotic supplements?
- A. Modern lifestyles can be very harsh on our beneficial bacteria. Stress, processed foods, second-hand antibiotics, and chlorinated water can alter our “microecology.” These lifestyle factors can reduce the population of sensitive healthy bacteria. Meanwhile less helpful bacteria and yeasts begin to thrive on the abundance of carbohydrates and sugars we consume each day. The balance is disrupted; this can lead to fatigue and a compromised immune response.
Thankfully, probiotic support through supplementation can help sustain the digestive tract balance by re-introducing beneficial bacteria. Using natural probiotic-based skin care products can help restore dermal probiotic balance, too.*
- Q. How many beneficial bacteria do I need in my digestive tract?
- A. There are billions of bacteria in the human digestive tract. Science has found that the ratio of good to bad bacteria needs to be at least 85:15. To maintain that balance, we need to provide both probiotic and prebiotic support for the gut.
It’s clear that probiotic supplementation is vital to support good health. But it’s also important to note that not all probiotic supplements are the same. Some that boast “billions and billions” of bacteria may actually supply too many of one strain, causing the immune system to respond to a perceived threat. Another mistake many consumers make is to supplement only with probiotics, while failing to take any prebiotics. Prebiotics are substances that help nourish probiotics and, along with organic acids, encourage the supplemented probiotics to take root. Prebiotics also nourish and feed pre-existing probiotic strains that are completely unique to each individual.
- Q. How do probiotics help support immune response?
- A. Currently, science has established that approximately 70% of immune system cells reside in the digestive tract. Probiotics support those immune system cells by, among other things, crowding out unfriendly guests. The gut is the first line of immune defense, and to stay healthy, we need a healthy population of friendly bacteria.*
- Q. Why should I choose Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics®?
- A. Live Bacteria Guaranteed to Take Root: A probiotic supplement is helpful when the beneficial bacteria actually take root in the digestive tract and support the body’s ability to develop its own unique strains of probiotics. Created by award-winning microbiologist Iichiroh Ohhira, Ph.D., Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® contain viable bacteria (not freeze-dried or centrifuged) that are guaranteed to cohere in the colon.*
Complete Probiotic and Prebiotic System: Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® are fermented for three years using 12 strains (12 Probiotic Strains) of lactic acid bacteria (LAB) including the proprietary TH10 strain which reportedly is six times stronger than any other known LAB strain. The probiotic supplement is encapsulated along with its prebiotic culture medium of nutritious vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, and seaweed and the naturally developed organic acids, which help alter the pH of the colon so the good bacteria can thrive. This provides nutrition and a level playing field for the good bacteria, further ensuring their success. The prebiotic nutrition also feeds the unique probiotic strains that were already present in your gut. Dr. Ohhira’s probiotic blend includes nutrition that supports your own individual microecology!*
In addition to prebiotics and organic acids, the culture medium provides nutritious vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acids. Digestive support, bacteriocins, and hydrogen peroxide also help maintain the delicate micro flora garden living in your digestive tract. Being able to take one capsule that covers probiotics, prebiotics, and organic acids provides peace of mind that the supplement will successfully supply noticeable whole health support.*
Convenience: The fermentation process used to craft Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® is conducted at seasonal temperatures. This results in a very stable product that does not require refrigeration. Individually blister-packed capsules preserve potency, ensure purity, and are convenient for travel.
Relief: All probiotic supplements should be taken regularly for at least three months to achieve the most extensive whole health benefits. Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® provide more immediate relief, soothing the effects of occasional heartburn and digestive discomfort because the culture medium has a balancing effect in the stomach.*
Scientific Support: Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® is backed by over 20 university-based scientific studies.
- Q. What other dietary supplements and products do you offer?
- A. Dietary Supplements: Along with the award-winning Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics®, Dr. Ohhira has formulated a Brazilian green propolis product and vegan Omega-3, 6, and 9 plant and seed oils. Together, our probiotics, propolis, and vegan omegas provide strong supplementation to address modern health challenges.*
Skin and Beauty Care: Probiotics are good for your skin too! Dr. Ohhira has crafted a beauty bar and a growing selection of moisturizers that contain his probiotic support blend and botanical ingredients to help cleanse and nourish the skin naturally. These products are incredible for sensitive skin and contain no artificial chemicals, fragrances, or surfactants.
- Q. I am allergic to soy and notice that it is listed on your label as one of the ingredients. Can I safely take Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics?
- A. During Dr. Ohhira’s three-year fermentation process any allergy-causing soy proteins are broken down into a substance that is no longer recognized by the immune system as the same protein. Soybeans used in long-term fermentation process are predigested and structurally modified to reduce or eliminate any allergic reaction to soy. If you are concerned about a reaction, always seek the advise of your health care provider. For more information on soy visit www.essentialformulas.com/soy.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO):
Probiotics: “live micro-organisms which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host.”
Prebiotics: substances that are not digested, and when they reach the large intestine, they stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria.
Symbiotics: a combination of probiotics and prebiotics.
Probiotics are helpful bacteria, but yes, there are many bacteria strains that are NOT beneficial.
Click here to learn more about not-so-friendly bacteria.