Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Probiotics are not just for digestive health. Scientists continue to discover other surprising effects of probiotics. Even mainstream medicine recognizes that, in the future, we may utilize individual probiotic strains to convey specific health benefits.*
With Reg´Activ®, that future is already happening. You may have never heard of these newly discovered probiotic capabilities. Click on a question below to learn more.
- What do Reg´Activ® Products do? Who should take them?
- What is in Reg´Activ® CARDIO WELLNESS? How does it work?
- What is in Reg´Activ® IMMUNE & VITALITY? How does it work?
- What is in Reg´Activ® DETOX & LIVER HEALTH? How does it work?
Reg´Activ® Product Use and Storage
- How should I take Reg´Activ®?
- How should I store Reg´Activ®?
- Should I take both Reg´Activ® and Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics®?
- Is Reg´Activ® safe to take if I’m allergic to one of the ingredients?
- Will any ingredient in Reg´Activ® interact with my prescription medication?
- Are Reg´Activ® products safe for children?
- What is glutathione? What’s so important about another antioxidant?
- Why can’t I just take a glutathione supplement? What makes Reg´Activ® different?
- How does the Reg´Activ® probiotic strain support glutathione levels?
- How does glutathione support antioxidant activity in the body?*
- How does taking Reg´Activ® promote healthy detoxification?*
- How was the Reg´Activ® probiotic strain discovered?
- What is Lactobacillus brevis KP08 and why is it added to the Reg´Activ® Immune & Vitality formula?
- Why does Reg´Activ® Immune & Vitality contain only 4 billion ME-3 bacteria per daily dose (2 capsules), whereas Cardio Wellness and Detox & Liver Health provide 6 billion ME-3 bacteria per dose?
Right now, there are three Reg´Activ® products that pair the ME-3 probiotic with other benefit-specific ingredients. Choose the product that best resonates with your goals:
Reg´Activ® Cardio Wellness™*
- Provides antioxidant support for the heart and blood vessels*
- Promotes healthy processing of LDL*
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels already in the normal range*
- Supports healthy energy production in heart muscle tissue*
- Supports a healthy immune system*
- Provides whole body antioxidant support*
- Supports healthy energy levels and a balanced metabolism*
- Supports the body’s natural systems for cellular detoxification*
- Helps maintain healthy glutathione levels in the liver*
- Promotes liver tissue health*
- Provides both a glutathione-producing probiotic and glutathione precursors*
- Supports production of super antioxidant enzymes in the liver*
Every moment of every day, cardiovascular cells utilize glutathione for ongoing maintenance and upkeep. Glutathione is vital for cardio health. Glutathione ultimately helps maintain healthy LDL processing, and it encourages healthy CRP and IL-6 levels and activity. Glutathione is also capable of recycling other heart-health antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and coenzyme Q10.*
Reg´Activ® CARDIO WELLNESS™ provides the glutathione-producing probiotic along with:
- Heart healthy B vitamins (thiamin, B6, B12 methylcobalamin, B5 pantethine) – Help maintain healthy cholesterol levels*
- Coenzyme Q10 (active form ubiquinol) – Promotes healthy energy production in heart tissue
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) – Acts as a glutathione precursor for additional antioxidant support*
Reg´Activ® IMMUNE & VITALITY™ provides the glutathione-producing probiotic along with:
- Vitamin C – Trusted antioxidant support for a healthy immune system*
- Selected B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, B6) – Promote healthy energy levels and balanced metabolic function*
- L-carnitine tartrate – Helps maintain healthy energy levels
This is because of the liver’s constant handling of day-to-day toxins and associated free radical activity. Of all human body cells, liver cells have the highest demand for glutathione. Healthy glutathione levels are vital for normal liver function.*
Reg´Activ® DETOX & LIVER HEALTH™ provides the glutathione-producing probiotic Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 along with:
- L-selenothionine (easy-to-digest selenium) – Promotes healthy levels of the enzyme glutathione peroxidase, which supports liver tissue health*
- L-methionine & N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) – Act as glutathione precursors*
- Milk thistle extract (Silymarin) – Supports production of super antioxidant enzymes in the liver*
Reg´Activ® Product Use and Storage
Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® Original and Pro Formulas are still the best approach to addressing complex digestive wellness goals and immune health goals connected to gut health. Meanwhile, Reg´Activ® products provide a probiotic strain that produces glutathione—which affects immune health, but also has implications for cardio health and liver function.*
Taking both products can be highly synergetic for some individuals. But all people should talk to a health care provider before making additions or changes to their supplement protocol. Some mild digestive discomfort can occur when taking multiple probiotic products. Your health care provider can advise you on dosages and timing when you take each product.*
Glutathione’s primary function is to address the day-to-day effects of free radicals in every human cell. Glutathione is also called the Master Detoxifier because it plays a vital role in regulating detoxification reactions throughout the body. Glutathione is clearly more than “just another antioxidant.” It is the body’s main antioxidant tool for maintaining the wellness of every cell.*
Reg´Activ® products are revolutionary in that they provide a probiotic strain that actually produces and recycles spent glutathione from within the body. No other supplement product provides glutathione in this highly effective fashion.*
All Reg´Activ® products provide a unique probiotic strain, Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3, which produces glutathione from within the body. There’s no concern about the glutathione breaking down before it can get to the cells that need it. ME-3 produces glutathione live, inside the person. In a human clinical trial, volunteers taking ME-3 saw an impressive 49% promotion of their ratios of active (reduced) to spent (oxidized) glutathione.*
It’s clear that this innovative, probiotic-produced glutathione is the most efficient and effective approach to supporting healthy glutathione levels.*
- Actually producing glutathione from within the human body*
- Extracting glutathione from the surrounding environment*
- Recycling spent (oxidized) glutathione back to its active (reduced) state*
As another side benefit, ME-3 synthesizes a very important intracellular antioxidant called manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD). This ability to produce both glutathione and Mn-SOD, makes ME-3 an antioxidant superstar. In human trials, people taking ME-3 exhibited an impressive 49% promotion of their ratios of active (reduced) to spent (oxidized) glutathione and 26% promotion in Total Antioxidant Activity (TAA) throughout the body.*
All Reg´Activ® products support detoxification to some degree because they help maintain healthy glutathione levels. Though the liver is certainly the biggest consumer of glutathione, the effects are not limited solely to the liver. Glutathione actually promotes healthy detoxification activities in every cell in the body. So its effects are more far-reaching than many other supplements with limited organ-specific benefits.*
Glutathione is known for its ability to assist with day-to-day detoxification of chemicals in our modern environment. This includes common agricultural and residential lawn and garden chemicals (such as glyphosate and organophosphates). Glutathione is also vital for the healthy processing and elimination of alcohol, prescription and over-the-counter medications, and certain metals often present in our foods and the environment.*
As exposures to all of these chemicals increase, the body’s demand for glutathione increases. In our modern world, the body needs more glutathione. Supplementing with a Reg´Activ® product can successfully address this increased glutathione-demand.*
Ongoing research revealed that ME-3 could support healthy glutathione levels via three different mechanisms. In addition to synthesizing glutathione, the bacteria can also extract it from the surrounding environment and recycle spent (oxidized) glutathione back to its active (reduced) form. Consequently, ME-3 is being called a “Complete Glutathione System”. There is no other known probiotic strain or supplement that provides this 3-prong glutathione effect.*
KP08 also supports normal activity of natural killer cells (NK activity). Natural killer (NK) cells are an important part of the body’s frontline immune response—addressing common challenges that come from outside the body and maintaining healthy cellular apoptosis within the body.*
As of this date (March 2016), there are 15 publications on the various functions and benefits of KP08 (KB290) that appear in the PubMed database. When searching for information about this species on your own, it is helpful to know that the official name of Lactobacillus brevis KP08 is “Lactobacillus brevis subspecies coagulans”. It is also sometimes referred to as KB290. Sometimes a bacterial strain will have more than one commercial name. Both KP08 and KB290 refer to Lactobacillus brevis subspecies coagulans.
KP08 was discovered in Japan where it is actually quite popular due to its proven immune system-supporting properties. As far as we know, our Reg´Activ® Immune & Vitality formula is the first probiotic product outside of Japan to utilize KP08.*